• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AnonaMoose

AnonaMoose

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:23 AM

I recieved a parking ticket the other day, and the ticket, which was openly displayed on my windshield, had my full name, home address, complete driver's license number, and date of birth. It somewhat ticked me off that the police would display what I consider to be private information.

Aside from the invasion of privacy, how much danger does this pose if someone were to get a hold of this information? I don't have a bad driving record or anything, but I am concerned about how this information could be used for identity theft or other malicious reasons. How much skill would it take, given this information, to steal someone's identity? And what are the chances if some curious person were to record this information for later use?

Thoughts and opinions welcome. Particularly if you have some recognized expertise in this area, I would be appreciative if you could share what that expertise is. I am going to approach the Sheriff's office who wrote the ticket, and see if I can get them to obfuscate the information on the written copy of the ticket. I see no reason why this should be openly displayed on the ticket. I have to deal with HIPPA compliance requirements on a somewhat regular basis, and it seems to me like this is asking for trouble. Thanks in advance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: privacy, security, identity theft