2 replies to this topic

#1 emZee

emZee

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hi GSO members !

I have just joined this forum after finding this place through a brief online search. The forum looks active & I hope someone having knowledge about cryptography can help me.

I am a uni student & im supposed to come up with some idea (abstract) which might have a strength over the current cryptography techniques.

My question is: Is it possible to use the encryption key of varying sizes for every block in a message ? If thats possible to achieve in terms of hardware & software, and can be implemented on the existing public-key encryption techniques such as RSA or elliptic curve cryptography, it can complex the cryptanalysis ! Moreover, the aggregate computational power required will be lower as the mixture of small sized keys & large sized keys will of course require less computational power than processing encrypted blocks which are all encrypted using a single large sized key.

Of course this technique will require a mechanism to inform the series of key sizes to both the parties. But that question is secondary, first what i need is to confirm that my core idea which i am thinking is making any sense to some one in the field and is valid for further research.

Thanks very much in advance.

#2 ranbir

ranbir

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

It is possible to use different key lengths in RSA to encrypt various blocks of a message but it will create confusion over what public key had been used to encrypt a block of message as the block has to be decrypted at the end. But signing a message will be difficult as we will be using only one public key. In the web browser, only one public key of an organization will be stored. Another important factor is the cost of purchasing a public key. It is about one lakh in indian rupees. So, never use more than one key in RSA or ECC.

Thanks
SORAM RANBIR SINGH
IMPHAL

#3 emZee

emZee

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

Thanks mr.Ranbir for your reply.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: encryption, algorithm, cryptanalysis, cryptography