Government Security
Network Security Resources

Photo

Network Security Jobs, Where Should I Start?

programming virus c++ python perl sql tutorial antivirus
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mercfh

Mercfh

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

First of all hello everyone im new to the forum. A little background: I got my B.S. in Comp. Science, graduated about a year and a half ago. Right now im a Entry Level Firmware Dev. at a largish company. Anyways Computer/Network Security has always been an interest of mine it was something my University didn't really offer much in the way of classes on.

Everything about it interests me, Writing Virus/Antivirus Software/Penetration Testing/SQL Injection/Etc... Etc... However I have no idea where to start, I figured this website might be a great place to start in the right direction as this is something I would like to possibly eventually make a career. I have good Unix/Linux Experience as well as Windows. I would consider myself a Pretty good C/C++ Programmer, my SQL needs work (Although I know a bit) as well as speckles of various other languages (Python/Perl/LISP/Etc..)

What would you give as advice to begin? I have quite a few Ebooks that a friend gave me (although Im not sure if they are good or not), as well as some CEH (The Cert) study courses (Not sure of their merit). But any books or.....tutorials or anything you would recommend a Beginner Read?

I realize it's a very broad field, however I would like to use my Programming Skills as well although im not sure what subcategories that really goes with.

Im sorry for such a generalized first topic....but like many other beginners at this Im a bit unsure of where to begin. I do have quite a bit of Computers on hand (Some old) and I am pretty familiar with setting up a VM. So I could have a lab set up for Testing.

Thanks everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: programming, virus, c++, python, perl, sql, tutorial, antivirus