3 replies to this topic

#1 Jayfisher

Jayfisher

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hello,

I am interested although uneducated about network security, but I am sure I want a career in something along the lines of networkadmin or sysadmin but I have read that saying you want to get into networking is like saying you want to get into transport. The industry is broad, but I just dont know where to start looking, Im looking at the comptia certs (a+, net+ and sec+) but I have also read that without experience these are worthless and its hard to get job experience with just these certs. I have looked for a degree but there arent many where I live and I dont know which one would be the best starting point. Ive started to learn linux and python but now I get the feeling I should focus on networking first so I have put down those books but I need to know if just getting these certs is going to land me a job so I can get the hands on I need to learn.

Sorry for rambling, just a complete newb and dont know where to start.

Thanks for any replys.

Regards

#2 Jayfisher

Jayfisher

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Anybody?

#3 Jayfisher

Jayfisher

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

Sorry to pester but I am still waiting for a reply, I realise I probably dont make much sense but im just asking if anybody has any advice on how to get into the buisness, what are the best routes to take to get into a well paid job as fast as possible IE without spending 5 years in first line support.

I appreciate any helpful advice at all for starting a career in this buisness, anything you wish you hadnt done or which you would have done better. I just really want to be as successfull as I possibly can.

#4 Glyph

Glyph

General of the Army

• GSO Management
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Find someplace where you can get a CCNA.
There's always jobs for that so it seems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: security, linux, networking, network security, network, python, certification