• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 st1ng81

st1ng81

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

Accidently my harddisk got formatted and i lost most of my important files.i used an application to reccover files.But none of the word,ppt,pdf files are proper.everthing in the file is displayed in some weird characters.I really need this files because these are my project reports and seminars.Please someone tellme howto recover this files:(

#2 bonarez

bonarez

Retired GSO Second Lieutenant

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

What filesystem (ntfs/fat32/ext)
How did you format it (quickformat or normal)
what program did you use to try and recover
Why oh why did you not make a backup
"Ask the right question and you will receive the right answer. I'm just very sensitive about the right syntax"

Read the rules before you post

#3 st1ng81

st1ng81

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

acctually it was in my external harddisk,in which i had made a backup.its ntfs filesystem.Harddisk got stolen and i managed to get it back.the person who had stolen had formatted it.I dont know how he formatted.I gave to a professional to recover the files.Later he told that the files are corrupted and cannot be recovered.so i want to know is there any way i can recover those files?

#4 bonarez

bonarez

Retired GSO Second Lieutenant

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

acctually it was in my external harddisk,in which i had made a backup.its ntfs filesystem.Harddisk got stolen and i managed to get it back.the person who had stolen had formatted it.I dont know how he formatted.I gave to a professional to recover the files.Later he told that the files are corrupted and cannot be recovered.so i want to know is there any way i can recover those files?

First thing to do is make an image of the entire disk using dd, prefer you'd use linux since you would be making the image without mounting the disk, and thus not risk making any changes to it. That way you will have a secure copy of the drive before you start messing around with it..

A professional forensic analysist will never work with the physical drive without a hardware write blocker. He would work with the image instead. Still you should make an image of the drive before commencing just to have some kind of backup.

Best software I can recommend in this case is Ontrack's easy recovery, not free but it works. Look around for it.

Good luck!
"Ask the right question and you will receive the right answer. I'm just very sensitive about the right syntax"

Read the rules before you post

#5 Ryan M

Ryan M

Global Moderator

• Colonel
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

RuntimeSoftware GetDataBackNTFS - works wonders for me everytime. It is shareware though.
There is no security on this earth. Only opportunity.
-Douglas MacArthur

GSO Compiled Exploit Database
----------------------------------------
[b]Mod at GovernmentSecurity

#6 st1ng81

st1ng81

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

First thing to do is make an image of the entire disk using dd, prefer you'd use linux since you would be making the image without mounting the disk, and thus not risk making any changes to it. That way you will have a secure copy of the drive before you start messing around with it..

A professional forensic analysist will never work with the physical drive without a hardware write blocker. He would work with the image instead. Still you should make an image of the drive before commencing just to have some kind of backup.

Best software I can recommend in this case is Ontrack's easy recovery, not free but it works. Look around for it.

Good luck!

I tried ontrack easy recovery. While repairing it shows "invalid header format". So any hopes for me now?

#7 kingvandal

kingvandal

Master Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

Best I have used so far is SpinRite (http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm). I used it one time from a user who saw "Press F11 to startup recovery" and nuked their entire drive. I ran this on their drive and recovered like 15 past partitions. Pretty good. Not free nor cheap but best I have used. Good luck!

Tchirimbimbim!!!
Very Interesting: Windows XP Source Code! and Windows Vista Source Code!!. Read'em and weap...

#8 infiltrator

infiltrator

Staff Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

Before you try this, make an image of your hard drive and then use http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/TestDisk to recover your files.

TestDisk can

• Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
  • Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
  • Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
  • Fix FAT tables
  • Rebuild NTFS boot sector
  • Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
  • Fix MFT using MFT mirror
  • Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
  • Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
  • Copy files from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

If that doesn't work, try Hiren's boot CD. The Swiss Army Knife, it comes with all the utilities to make your job easier.

#9 ava1

ava1

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

Hi,

You want to know how to recover files right, There are many software's available, but you must use the best one to recover your lost or deleted files.

You can download and try the demo version of the Remo Recover(Windows) application.

#10 kattyjohn012

kattyjohn012

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:59 AM

Data recovery refers to the process of recovering data from a hard drive, removable disk, or other type of electronic storage media (such as a backup tape drive, RAID array, server, database, flash memory, etc.) when the data is no longer accessible via normal means. Data recovery can be a simple process, in many cases and in some cases, may require exhaustive, detailed work to recover the data. However, any data recovery case typically involves the same general process for recovering the lost data.

data and recovery

#11 rickyponting

rickyponting

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:09 AM

Hello , I know how to Recover Data please check out my link below.

Data recovery lafayette