• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tribute

Tribute

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

Hi all, wondered if anyone could help me out on deciding on a Linux based firewall for use in a company?
Its been a while since I looked into linux firewalls and the only names I can remember are IPCop and m0n0wall.

There are 35 workstations, 12 servers, 2 routers on site and a connection via VPN to another site.
All in all, a fair bit of traffic passing through.

The available hardware I will have for the testing phase will be on a 2U box which once ran Asterisk.. HDD, CF, CD, USB, 4 port NIC.
Then if needed, migrating to an old blade. Specs of the hardware are a little unknown at the moment, but within the past 5 years.

I'm sure the specs each firewall are pretty similar but would anyone recommend any one over another or know a better one than the two listed above?
Ta

#2 AdamB

AdamB

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Hi all, wondered if anyone could help me out on deciding on a Linux based firewall for use in a company?
Its been a while since I looked into linux firewalls and the only names I can remember are IPCop and m0n0wall.

There are 35 workstations, 12 servers, 2 routers on site and a connection via VPN to another site.

The available hardware I will have for the testing phase will be on a 2U box which once ran Asterisk.. HDD, CF, CD, USB, 4 port NIC.
Then if needed, migrating to an old blade. Specs of the hardware are a little unknown at the moment, but within the past 5 years.

I'm sure the specs each firewall are pretty similar but would anyone recommend any one over another or know a better one than the two listed above?
Ta

Untangle is great!!

#3 infiltrator

infiltrator

Staff Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 421 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

Ta

Untangle is great!!

I only heard wonders about Untangle, there are also PFsense and Smoothwall. But Untangle will serve you well.

#4 MagPieMolly

MagPieMolly

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Poppycock, you would all do well to setup a redhat or debian box as a router using iptables, and learn how to use netfilter iptables to write your own firewall rules. Call me a pessimist, but I find all of those distros to be novelties and really dont help you learn how to do anything on your own.

I recommend doing it yourself on a normal linux box. You will have more freedom to use various tools and programs, and you will learn more doing it that way. 1 box, two nics, masquerade. Nice and simple to begin with.

#5 Tiksi

Tiksi

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Poppycock, you would all do well to setup a redhat or debian box as a router using iptables, and learn how to use netfilter iptables to write your own firewall rules. Call me a pessimist, but I find all of those distros to be novelties and really dont help you learn how to do anything on your own.

I recommend doing it yourself on a normal linux box. You will have more freedom to use various tools and programs, and you will learn more doing it that way. 1 box, two nics, masquerade. Nice and simple to begin with.

I agree, iptables is probably the best solution. It's as flexible and resilient as you make it. I've personally been using it for years and have never had an issue. It teaches you about your network and firewall quite well.

Myself, I run iptables and ossec hids and my networks have always been secure, and iptables can handle the traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users