What about a secure port?

Thanks

#2 webdevil

webdevil

Retired GSO General

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

Are you by chance referring to a Switch Port Security?

#3 Edu

Edu

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

a "secure port" in my view would be a port that is filtered by a firewall. whether it is closed or not a scanner will reveal it is filtered. the port could be opened by a server application but only specific IP address would be able to connect at certain times only...this is a rule that can be created by a firewall.
http://www.secumania.net - Secumania security blog.

Embed any executable in a JPEG image and get it to run upon opening the image with this cool tool that abuses a feature of GDI in Windows systems. for governmentsecurity.org members only! click here to get it!

#4 Paul

Paul

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:28 AM

Any non-standard port is more 'secure' than a standard-port IMO. Not sure if that's what you mean though.
Give it up for the IPB news bot.
-_-

#5 Zexan

Zexan

Private First Class

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

Just my 2 cents: stealth ports are better than closed ports. A closed port gives a response to the sender that port is closed.stealth port don't even reply, acting like computer is down. If you have your ports stealth port scans won't be conclusive on OS fingerprint and will think there is there's nobody home, and probably you will escape from ranged port scans attacks. For services, as someone already told you, run them on other ports. For example if you have sshd server configure it to listening on other port than default, that way, ssh attacks, in special brute forces ones, will be more difficult to achieve.
To see what others can see on you system you can visit one of plenty sites around that port scans you or nmap yourself.
Key fingerprint = 6D86 A6A6 7B7B 448B AB77 C839 0001 3128 0D9B 4382

#6 Thiseas

Thiseas

Private

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:27 AM

Just my 2 cents: stealth ports are better than closed ports. A closed port gives a response to the sender that port is closed.stealth port don't even reply, acting like computer is down. If you have your ports stealth port scans won't be conclusive on OS fingerprint and will think there is there's nobody home, and probably you will escape from ranged port scans attacks.

I totaly agree with Mr Zexan and I would like to add the following remark:
A simple way to make a port to function in "stealth" mode is to run a good firwall on it, for example ZoneAlarm.
when you 've got a hammer everything starts to look like a nail...

#7 AnnexPaul

AnnexPaul

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Port secure is a layer two traffic control feature on Cisco Catalyst switches. It enables an administrator configure individual switch ports to allow only a specified number of source MAC addresses ingressing the port.