• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Ok guys I have put together our first Security / Hacking Video Post. It is more of a news post with some humor in it. If people like it I will do more. I am still working out all the kinks so be patient with me.

http://youtube.com/gsecur

#2 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Nice, hit me up when you're going to make the next episode so I can make some pretty graphics for it :)

#3 webdevil

webdevil

Retired GSO General

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:30 AM

Decent first attempt. Must say, Nice idea to get a few chuckles :D
But the voice is bad and you need to slow down. Also, the DNS DoS is available on milw0rm, so it's not the "wild".

#4 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:08 AM

Lol thanks bud. The voice is horendous but hopefully the new mic should be here for the next episode. As for in the wild I believe I meant it as being public. Well version 2 is already in development with new updated graphics. I think it will be a major improvement.

#5 Marts McFly

Marts McFly

Second Lieutenant

• Second Lieutenant
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

Haha it is finally here! Nice work to those involved in the creation :)

I feel bad saying anything negative about what GSO does because this place is awesome, but yeah as you said Blake... what was with the audio??? Jesus! GSO prides itself on being a 'more-so-than-others' professional gateway for information related on security, but watching that video podcast left me feeling it was a little amateurish and rushed. If i didn’t know of GSO, and stumbled onto that, I wouldn't have any desire to come here. Quite the contrary actually. Sort of made me feel dirty :(. It is an awesome idea, and it definitely has legs, but i don't think the end product matches the standard in which you guys provide here. I don't want to say I’m disappointed because i have no right to say that, but it definitely wasn't what i was expecting.

Love the idea of piss-taking popular security news in a fun way, but i felt it fell a little short of the intended goal. From a third party perspective, i learnt nothing new from that, and wasn't that entertained. But i can see where it was supposed to be going and i really like it.

I would love to see more, and definitely be subscribing to the channel. But i know you guys, and you can do so much more with this. I know you guys have put this out there hoping for our feedback, so i'm doing my best :).
Have you considered seeing if the community would be interested in getting involved? We have a lot of smart people here who are skilled in all areas of technology. If people were interested in helping out, i'm sure you could produce something of a much higher calibre (in terms of everything, really).

I for one would put my hand up to help out if anything was needed... design skills aren't too shabby, and if you want your news reporter dude have a sexy-and-charismatic Aussie accent, let me know :P

(Just got back from an all day bender at the pub, so excuse any un-warranted ranting)
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)

T: http://twitter.com/Marts_McFly

B: http://www.backtosecurity.com

#6 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

Ouch. Ok tough love I guess is the theme. But I appreciate the feed back from so money long time members. Well the video was supposed to be a bit campy to make it fun. Which I thought would be a break from our normal vibe. :-). But I guess I missed the mark. So let's think forward. So I can tweak it. Because I think we could do something good. So let's tally up some suggestions that way we have a good bullet list on what needs to change. By the way thanks guys for spending the time to actually write a real critique instead of just it sucks (which I know is what people are thinking but just to polite to say. Lol. So. Here it is

1. Something more proffesional. Does that mean we do away with the cartoon? Should I go with video of my self with a green screen and give a real news report?

2. Should the jokes be gone, and I go with a straight news report?

#7 webdevil

webdevil

Retired GSO General

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

But I appreciate the feed back from so money long time members

aha! Now I know what's on your mind. hahaha

1. I think the cartoon looks good. It suits the idea.
2. Jokes should be there but it must not be outright comedy.

Well that's my opinion, let's here it from others.

#8 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

Lol Freudian slip.

#9 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

Ok guys I have been thinking about it. I might pull the cartoon. It is pretty bad. Then we prepare some possible video components. In the mean time I am going to switch the format to an audio cast in the mean time.

#10 bonarez

bonarez

Retired GSO Second Lieutenant

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

I kind of like the cartoon news reporter idea too, the tin foil hat picture in the background was hilarious

audio could be inproved, and maybe a bit speedy imo as well. Like you said a good mic and good sound recording/editing software will certainly improve that.

there's cheap voice changing software out there if you like to give that a try.
"Ask the right question and you will receive the right answer. I'm just very sensitive about the right syntax"

Read the rules before you post

#11 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

DOn't pull the cartoon, it's fun as a first attempt. Next episode will definitely be better :)

#12 webdevil

webdevil

Retired GSO General

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

+1, Dennis
That's what makes it comic!

#13 bonarez

bonarez

Retired GSO Second Lieutenant

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

+2 Dennis
play around with the characters, get some nice voices (sound needs improving) but it could be the next xkcd/smbc with a security related twist
"Ask the right question and you will receive the right answer. I'm just very sensitive about the right syntax"

Read the rules before you post

#14 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Ok guys, new mic is in order,I talked to one of our audio video consultants that tune my conference rooms here and he suggested I get a USB condenser microphone. A bit pricey, but he said it will make all the difference. So I ordered it from J&R in the city. He said it will be ridiculously different. So I have already learned alot of things from this project already.

1. Flash Animation
2. Cartoon lip synching
3. Graphics
4. Audio production.

This is why I still work on this website after all these years, I love learning new stuff. Keep the input coming guys.

#15 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

New stage and news anchor has been completed. :-) it looks really good now, and more to the GSO standard everyone was talking about. Now that I see people watched it, I put some extra effort into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users