• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wiloskyline

wiloskyline

Private First Class

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

I want to simplify a businesses email configuration. Currently there are 11 Windows (XP) computers using Thunderbird and 6 Mac (10.4) computer using Thunderbird. Previously each computer/user has their own computer and email address/s and each computer acts as a stand alone computer. (bad idea, a domain and roaming profiles is next on the agenda)

There are some computers that check several email addresses at once.

This means several computers download the same email which can cause allot of network congestion and excessive udp broadcasting.

My proposal is to set up some kind of linux mail server that acts as a mail drop for Thunderbird, and instead of initializing pop3, initialize imap instead.
I want one computer (my Ubuntu server) to download all emails as pop3 (ssl) and use the imap to distribute those emails to their respective owners within the LAN/VPN.

The email domain is hosted by a third party that does not allow direct smtp input (i think this is the correct terminology, correct me if im wrong) so i would have to use a smart host? not sure.

I want something like M$ exchange, but linux based, secure and stable.

I looked into postfix and dovecot, but i'm not sure what i am after.

How can this be done? Any ideas?

#2 infiltrator

infiltrator

Staff Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:32 AM

You could set up a linux box with POSTFIX and use thunderbird or any other mail client for retrieving the emails. I have used Postfix in the past and its a lot stable and secure than exchange.

Or alternatively, you could use NetWIin Surgemail and thats what I personally use at home. It comes loaded with security features, like Spam filter, Virus Protection and lots more.
You can try it for 30 days and then buy the licenses which its a lot cheaper than the Microsoft Exchange Server licenses.

It also supports POP3 and IMAP protocols. And above all it has support for Linux OSes as well.

Hope this helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, linux, ubuntu, server, network