Government Security
Network Security Resources

Photo

GSO a Solution Provider

- - - - - security tools
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Can GSO be a Leading Security Solution Provider?? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think? Make your vote and give us a statement defending your choice !

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sabrodiesel2000

sabrodiesel2000

Corporal

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

We keep returning and reading/writing on GSO. Some of us had just been here for fun and been kicked/n bagged due to the thrilling & killing THANKS posts. I say only 70% of us really benefit from this community. I have sort of loyality towards GSO and honestly i think it has given me alot even more to what i knew/learned myself. I think it is time GSO stepped up to the next level.

I was thinking GSO can be and has all the right tools and people in order for it to be what they say 'The Leading Security Consultancy'. Ofcourse both users andd GSO benefit from this. It will be a paid service just for the consultancy. Like users (Firms, Organizations, Groups, Institutions etc) can post their queries on their recent projects and requirements and GSO will get back with a Proposal/Quote/Business Reply etc. All GSO would require is to have top contributors/users/experts from the forum to join and form a committee of a sort and then make them the work panel.

Why to be a consultancy? There can be roughly many reasons: lets say a few here..
1. GSO gets paid for this extra service (users do have the budget and pay more to companies.
2. GSO will have it consulted and agreed on with more brain power and lesser price).
3. Users will have more loyality towards GSO professionally as well.
4. GSO will be globally recognized as the Top Leading Security Consultancy.

...etc and the benefits/opportunities are endless.

Guys , for the sake of development and success , constructive criticism is more than welcomed (in limits and only constructive). Waiting for this post to go LIVE..

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

Commander in Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

I will go out on a limb and speak for Blake since he is busy these days.

This forum is meant to share information and collaborate with each other in a manner that doesn't cost a dime to our members. We (the admin) aren't looking to make money from GSO. We have the Cork Board (free advertising) for those who provide consultancy services and also for those companies looking for such services.

Also, the liability associated with such a thing is not worth the effort. We would essentially be putting GSO's stamp of approval on audits/pen tests conducted by anonymous members.

#3 meathive

meathive

Staff Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

In theory it really comes off as a great idea and opportunity to those of us still interested in providing information, guiding members, answering questions, so on. In practice I don't see it happening, largely because of Jeremy's remark regarding liability. GSO would be vouching for its members whose identities cannot be verified; there are issues with income and taxes (not all of us live in the US); managing incoming requests and assigning them to the proper individuals, if the proper individuals could even be established. I agree there is plenty of potential for GSO, sabrodiesel2000, but hardly enough to stand out as any type of major security service provider. There are the weekly/bi-weekly exploit releases, security and network news on the home page, and new members asking questions rarely pertaining to security. Sorry to those of you in charge, but my point is simple.

Say I'm interested in securing my home network (not even getting entangled with the lines one shouldn't cross with seeking public help on private business networks) and I come to GSO for help. What do I do? I give all the details about the network environment including all hardware/software that I possibly can. This information is passed along to a designated individual or team of individuals that have been assigned to deal with my particular circumstance. I pay them money based on the criteria we've established after several exhaustive e-mails and/or private messages then get back in return a plethora of seemingly useful information that may work for me. In the event GSO's recommendations didn't work, which is highly likely given that I'm an average user and/or corporation simply interested in being more secure, what then? The output is only as good as the input I think - the advice I get back would only be as useful as my understanding of how my network is designed and therefore relaying to the GSO security team. After all, it's not like they'd have any other type of access in order to discover something is off on their own, right? I'm a contributing member here, so if I were one of these 'experts', you trust me to give you sound judgment or even access to the systems you wish to protect?

;]

I wish it could work, I'm still on the job hunt, haha.
...oO oO oO kinqpinz.info Oo Oo Oo...
---------------------------------------------------------
# angelheaded hipsters
## burning for the ancient heavenly connection
### to the starry dynamo
#### in the machinery of night.

#4 Kenny

Kenny

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

In the early days of GSO ..when it was just.. Blake , Me and Travis GSO was a hobby when Blake was still in the USAF i was member 25 then...quite a few members in them days were from the military, naval or AF ...we put our heads together to create what you see today also with help from jeremy...several years later Stephen came on the scene and further developed GSO to today's standard with Blake.

Our idea at the time was to have GSO to be a free resource of information to cater to all sectors ...black , white and Grey a sort of neutral place to divulge information and problem solving...yes we have many experts here including government , police , and the ordinary guy in the street...as it stands GSO only income is via adds etc to help pay for the hosting and running of GSO....none of us admins get paid for our services its entirely voluntary that we share our time here helping keep GSO running smooth...and my views are the similar to Jeremy ...once payments cross hands then its a whole new ball game and you become a liability to many things including contracts...again it don't take long for someone to disapprove with your methods...then it becomes a legal battle....just not worth the hassle in my opinion

GSO will plod on ..in our quiet corner of the net... hopefully as an open door to anyone who needs our help and free resources ;)

then again if anyone wants to make me a millionaire...drop me a PM :P
Kenny aka ComSec

Please read the Forum Rules !!!

#5 sabrodiesel2000

sabrodiesel2000

Corporal

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

Dear Guys,
Ok one thing is clear enough that GSO will remain free.. but then again my idea doesnt stop i still go for option 1.
We can keep it free for members-only. People wont reply if they dont know have good knowledge on the requirement and this forum/sub-forum will be a more serious place for lifetime students like me who always keeps learning and passing education to others. I still think its a good idea.

Coming to the point where i or other users would go personally to kenny, jeremy etc to get help.. not all of us know you lot :)

Again, the decision is all yours im just putting my suggestions.

#6 Jeremy

Jeremy

Commander in Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

Coming to the point where i or other users would go personally to kenny, jeremy etc to get help.. not all of us know you lot :)

Why would you come to one person directly? This forum is about sharing with everyone and getting answers from anyone. Posting a topic that anyone can respond to is likely to yield better results. If you share the question and it is answered in a public place then any other user with the same problem can get access to that information.
Besides, no one is a expert on every topic and no one knows what everyone is an expert on so why direct a question in one direction?

#7 sabrodiesel2000

sabrodiesel2000

Corporal

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Honestly solution providing takes more than just posting issues here and getting all diffeerent replies. sometimes what happens is you dont even get 20% OFF your expectation in forum replies.

I guess then it leads to a suggestion where open topic forum would be still the place where we will look for answers..?

#8 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

Well well well an interesting topic indeed. Look guys, GSO is about information security. And I love what it is, but yes as many of the close guys to me have already said. I don't see it becoming more for now. Becoming a consultant company is a huge step and a tough one at that. I think I speak for most of the moderating team in saying we just don't have the time to give it the proper attention it would need.

As for making money, sure it would be nice to do this full time. But I am happy with breaking even or making a bit extra which funds our periodic contests. Why you ask? Because it keeps the pressure to a minimum. There are sometimes when I have taken it to seriously and all it does is create conflict. I am always happy to keep GSO up and growing and of course that is our goal. Frankly I think we have been successful and this place has grown bigger then I could have ever hoped. And as always I want it to grow bigger but I try to make sure that money nor growth is the biggest factor. So far this has been a winning combo for us. And also kept us around while others have faded into the distance. And I think it will be what keeps us around until the 10 year mark and beyond ;-)

#9 beardednose

beardednose

Retired GSO First Lieutenant

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Solutions provider? You white slip is showing, dude. Get rid of the Clorox.

I thotz we was all black! (at least the skirts) ;)
Don't post just a THANKS! Here's why...

Forum Rules you need to know...RuLeS

#10 sabrodiesel2000

sabrodiesel2000

Corporal

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

Solutions provider? You white slip is showing, dude. Get rid of the Clorox.

I thotz we was all black! (at least the skirts) ;)

i didnt get what you mean..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: security, tools