• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

As we are expanding the user base and making changes to the overall structure of the board, we have decided to do away with the idea of a trial members group. All trial members have now been upgraded to full members and have the same privileges.

This does mean that breaking the rules will incur harsher penalties.

#2 webdevil

webdevil

Retired GSO General

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

Good for the forum as such!

The mods would need to be on their toes now. :D

#3 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

Thanks webdevil, we appreciate everyone being patient with us as we go through this transition. In the long run these changes are good for the board. As I am sure people have already experienced the increase in posting.

#4 AnyMouse

AnyMouse

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

WooHoo.. Thank you.
Now I'll be able to download stuff that I couldn't before.
Are the forum rules going to change much??

#5 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

Forum rules will not change. But the will be enforced much more harshly. So please follow them.

#6 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

Also, keep each other in check. If you see something that doesn't seem to follow the rules, press the report button of that post. This is the fastest way for us to get attention to the posts that don't seem right.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

#7 KOrUPt

KOrUPt

Private First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

Also, keep each other in check. If you see something that doesn't seem to follow the rules, press the report button of that post. This is the fastest way for us to get attention to the posts that don't seem right.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Noted ;).

Nice to see what could be a welcome change to the board Blake :).

Keep up the good work.

KOrUPt.
Coder and Reverse Engineer. My blog.

#8 Baphomet

Baphomet

Corporal

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

To give you some other sort of feedback:
I don't like this change at all! :P
I think the Trial Member group was a good idea to sort out some of those who wouldn't have participated in a good way, and also encouraged new members to make a good impression. But yeah, since you obviously intend to make forums more active and this way probably means less work for the admins (to validate all the new members) as well, you probably had to do that.
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither ~ B. Franklin
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time ~ A. Lincoln

#9 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

;) I know but sometimes change is good. The forum has already shown some major growth with changes that have been made and it will continue to improve

#10 BobS0327

BobS0327

Private First Class

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

I'm a new member who joined GSO a while back. What really frustrated me when I first joined was the inability to review attachments as a trial member. I'd get really interested in an article, post etc. and there would be an attachment. Clicking on the attachment would display an access denied message which would frustrate me to no end. This frustration also carried over to my Google searches. I'd occassionally would get a GSO hit on a search. So, based on my previous experience with GSO, I would intentionally avoid those hits because I'd probably run into an attachment that I couldn't view.

I'm glad that the trial members group has been eliminated. But I heartily agree with the harsh enforcement of the forum rules. Especially for new users as myself.

#11 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

Actually former trial members should be the ones that thank Bob, since it was his (snarky) ;p email that actually made me rethink the old rule. Welcome Bob, I hope you stay awhile

#12 u533m3n0t

u533m3n0t

Staff Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hey Blake,
Just popped in after being in class for a LONG while, and like the new look of the place. Very snazzy! :D Paramedic class has been whooping my butt. Started in August and finishes in June (26th). Will pop in from time to time to say hello to everyone, especially my friend Kenny and yourself. In the meantime, wish me luck in prevention of my braincells melting and running out of my ears:-)

Very Best Regards,
U533m3n0t
Very Best Regards,
Johnny "U533m3n0t"
Firefighter/Paramedic

There are those who talk about it and those who do it. Which are you?

#13 5a0

5a0

Private

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

im back just because it means i'll be a normal member....hehe :D

thanks

#14 Edu

Edu

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

welcome back sao :)

and...if you were still a trial you could still post some nice stuff here and get promoted to full member...nothing that hard I guess :D
http://www.secumania.net - Secumania security blog.

Embed any executable in a JPEG image and get it to run upon opening the image with this cool tool that abuses a feature of GDI in Windows systems. for governmentsecurity.org members only! click here to get it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users