Government Security
Network Security Resources

Photo

Learning the proper way to post on a security forum.

- - - - - security hacking exploit beginner java perl phishing
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

Ok now that we have opened registration again and we are getting a large amount new registrations especially from beginner hackers and security people I think this post is a must. GSO (GovernmentSecurity.org) can be a bit intimidating when you first join but we have a great member base and some very talented people here who are always willing to help. You just need to ask the right way. This site is different then other security/hacking sites and boards in a number of ways.

1. No leet speak
You won't see any 1 4m l33t h4x0r here. Most of us have matured from this a long time ago. Sometimes we may use it in jest, but not in actual conversation.

2. Asking About Exploits and Hacking or Malicious Coding
GSO is different then many security sites in that we do not mind people asking these questions. But they must be worded properly for 2 reasons. The first legal protections for the site, Second legal protection is for you.

Never list targets!

If you have discovered a flaw in the security of an internet site no matter how small you should never list the actual site. Make a statement like. I discovered unfiltered Java inputs. It has the following fields: What strings would you suggest I use when attempting an injection. I have tried the following.

This is important no one wants to do your work for you and they don't want to get in trouble for something you are doing.

3. Carding or Phishing
No one wants to hear about you ripping people off and we won't help you do it. Now I have done assessments where they wanted me to mimic phishing attacks. So if you want to discuss it in this manner I have no issue.

If you have any other tips for our members list them here.

#2 Guest_DiabloHorn_*

Guest_DiabloHorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

4. be patient don't double post
5. drop the attitude, people usually want to help you , not flame you
6. try correct english or use a translation engine
7. do some research yourself first and actually try to finetune your question instead of a big broad one

#3 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

Stickied. I would like to point out that on GovernmentSecurity.org you are allowed to discuss everything concerning all aspects of security, even in the lines of trojans/worms etc with code samples/binaries and all, but you are not allowed to speak in such a way displaying malicious intent to one or a other.

Par exemple:
Good:
How does this trojan work?
Where can I find holes in the security of a program/service/OS/etc?
Where do I begin if I want to built my own trojan/exploit/etc?
How do I exploit a vulnerability in this program/service/OS/etc?

Bad:
How do I hack someones email?
My victim IP is 127.0.0.1. How do I hack him?
OMG, d0es ny0n3 h4s a b0tn3t for m3?
How do I use this exploit on someone?

If you follow along these lines the staff won't stand in your way :)

Regards,

Dennis

#4 beardednose

beardednose

Retired GSO First Lieutenant

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

36. Posting a sanitized event that happened at work or school is often interesting. It's one of my old standbys. see http://www.governmen...mp;#entry198449

37. Don't be disappointed too much if your NEW TOPIC you posted gets no replies. Sometimes I berate the members for not replying to what I thought was a splendid post (hey, I'm the 'nose'), usually in jest, but it happens. I usually get over it after 6 months and I've posted 17 other topics. See the same topic as above. :lol:

38. Don't take yourself too seriously. You should have gotten that out of the last rule, but you may have missed it. We have fun here. Sometimes you'll get pinched when you bounce a rule, but remember, it's all for your own good and the good of the board. Enjoy.
Don't post just a THANKS! Here's why...

Forum Rules you need to know...RuLeS

#5 Edu

Edu

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

some people will try to "social engineer" in order to get information on how to hack the school or friends, and usually the questions could be easily solved using the search feature in this forum, or searching google, so be ware.

If you are not that good or still know very few to write articles/tutorials, you may post articles from another source, as long as the author authorizes posting it in else places. you MUST include the source and author.

Posting computer security related news articles is also a very good way to start, and will be a good contribution to the community.
http://www.secumania.net - Secumania security blog.

Embed any executable in a JPEG image and get it to run upon opening the image with this cool tool that abuses a feature of GDI in Windows systems. for governmentsecurity.org members only! click here to get it!

#6 inspired38

inspired38

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the advice - learning loads already

#7 nihao

nihao

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:01 PM

If you follow along these lines the staff won't stand in your way :)

#8 Jordenheer

Jordenheer

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hi,
The thing you have have discussed is suppose to be very useful for us and I learn a lot from it.
---------------------------------------------------
Datenrettung | Daten Wiederherstellung | Gelöschter Dateien Wiederherstellen

#9 playboy5

playboy5

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Asking About Exploits and Hacking or Malicious Coding
GSO is different then many security sites in that we do not mind people asking these questions. But they must be worded properly for 2 reasons. The first legal protections for the site, Second legal protection is for you.

http://mykitchenremodeling.com/

#10 vinay650

vinay650

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thanks For the Advise

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: security, hacking, exploit, beginner, java, perl, phishing