6 replies to this topic

#1 mobikhan

mobikhan

Private First Class

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hi guys,

I am facing an issue in our organization. One of our user in the organization has changed the settings such that I cannot ping the system. Similarly I can't even access the system through remote registry option or through Computer Management-->Connect to a Remote Computer. I am getting the error message "Computer_Name cannot be managed. The Network path was not found." I have the Domian Admin rights but I am unable to get information about this system. I have checked the windows firewall setting on his computer by asking him to show me the firewall settings but there is no such configuration that can prevent the form accessing the system.

Can you please help me out what could be the possible reason for this??

#2 kingvandal

kingvandal

Master Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

Had many issues like this before when a windows update broke something. For us it turned out to be the "Computer browser" services was stopped. Might check that. Mightg also confirm the rpc services are running.
Tchirimbimbim!!!
Very Interesting: Windows XP Source Code! and Windows Vista Source Code!!. Read'em and weap...

#3 gapingvoid

gapingvoid

Private First Class

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

Are you able to logon to the system locally or is it too far away? I think you will need to be at the console to get this working again. It sounds like the best thing will be just to call a local technician if it is distant.

If you are at the console, can you ping out. Check all the network settings. If you aren't sure where to even begin, again you'll need to just contact a qualified support provider. There are too many things it could be to try and solve in a reasonable time through a forum. You need to have the troubleshooting tree already in your own head.

#4 chemist

chemist

Private

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

What I think is strange is that you cannot even ping the machine from the inside network. Unless there is some firewall preventing this, it should be no problem on the internal network. Did you check the IP and the subnet ? Is the IP in the same subnet as your machine ?

If the IP is on the same subnet; is it unique? Maybe the machine has an IP that already exists .. This could explain somethings ....

Just posting some thoughts ...

#5 mobikhan

mobikhan

Private First Class

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:29 AM

Did you check the IP and the subnet ? Is the IP in the same subnet as your machine ?

Yah I did checked it and they are on the same subnet. I also checked the firewall on the user's system and its also turned off. Moreover I have the domain admin rights but I am unable to access the registry or remote connection. As I mentioned the user has himself done something with the system due to which I am not able to even ping the system.

#6 AnnexPaul

AnnexPaul

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

The system may be protected by password or the does provide any sharing with network. Click the sharing check box in network sharing option.

#7 montgomeryj

montgomeryj

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I know that this is an old forum question but I figure I'll add an additional option you could try.  If you have remote access to another computer close to the one you are trying to access you could remote to that computer and then try to ping and access your target computer from the intermediary computer.  Sometimes firewalls and iptables are configured to block connections and pings from certain IP addresses or sets of ip addresses.  By attempting to connect through a local computer you might be able to get around that problem with "local" access to the machine.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, network, firewall