1 reply to this topic

#1 ceder

ceder

Private First Class

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

1) Introduction

I have a new TabletPC. I bought it 6 months ago and I'd like to introduce the concept to those who don't know it yet and
I'd like to present my laptop to those who are interested in this type of computer.

2) Definition

What is a TabletPC? Basically, it's a laptop where you can write on it with a pen or your finger.
There are 2 sorts : slate and convertible/hybrid . Each one has his pros and cons.
Slates have no keyboard but are usually smaller in volume and weight. Convertible tablets have a keyboard but are bigger
and generally more resistant. Slates and convertible tablets can have different type of screen : touch screen,
electromagnetic screen, both or multi-touch screen. The screen is a very important spec in TabletPCs because unlike a normal
laptop, you'll have to write on it! According to your needs, you will choose a touch screen if you want to write with your finger
or an electromagnetic screen if you want to use a stylus and if you need a more accurate handwriting capture.

3) HP's TabletPC history

HP 2710p is the 6th TabletPC made by HP and Compaq. They began with TC1100 which is a hybrid with a 10.4" electromagnetic
screen and continued with TC4200 and then TC4400, others hybrid with a larger screen (12.1") and a more powerful processor,
their little brother (I don't remember the name) which was a more resistant version of TC4200. The last one before my
computer was the TX1000, an attempt to introduce TabletPCs in the public world but, in my opinion, it has done the opposite.
It was a heavy 12.1" touch screen with a 2 hours battery. The concept of a TabletPC wasn't followed and the product didn't sell.
Then comes mine, a hybrid with an 12.1" electromagnetic screen designed for business. And finally, the last HP's laptop
TX2000 series is designed for home use. It's a convertible TabletPC with a 12.1" electromagnetic and touch screen with a very
powerful processor.

4) HP 2710p Specifications

Operating system

Genuine Windows Vista® Business

Processor

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo ULV Processor U7600 (1.2 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)

Chipset

Mobile Intel® GM965

Memory

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Memory upgrade

Upgradeable to 4 GB maximum (2 GB SODIMM in slots 1 and 2)

Memory slots

2 SODIMM slots

Hard drive

100 GB 4200 rpm SMART PATA

Display size

12.1-inch diagonal Illumi-Lite, WXGA, UWVA anti-glare with Digitizer

Graphics

Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, with up to 384 MB shared system memory

Integrated camera

Integrated 2 MP camera (1600 x 1200 max resolution) on select models

Ports

2 USB 2.0
1 1394a
1 battery connector
1 microphone in
1 headphone/line-out
1 docking connector
1 RJ-45
1 RJ-11
1 external VGA monitor
1 AC power

Slots

1 Express Card/54
1 secure digital

Audio

Integrated mono speaker
Integrated microphone

Network interface

Integrated Intel Gigabit Network Connection (10/100/1000 NIC)
Modem 56K V.92
WIFI Intel 4965 802.11a/b/g
Bluetooth 2.0

Weight

3.7 lb (1.68 kg)

Dimensions (w x d x h)

11.42 x 8.35 x 1.11 in (290.00 x 212.00 x 28.20 mm)

Battery

6-cell (44 WHr) high capacity Lithium-Ion

Security management

HP Fingerprint Sensor
Windows Security Button (pen-activated Ctrl-Alt-Del)

Warranty

3 years

Posted Image
Global view of the 2710p
It has a clean and solid design.

Posted Image
From left to right : Touch sensitive application launcher, mute, volume manager

Posted Image
View of 2710p's keyboard.
There's only a trackpoint and no touchpad. It's not easy to use but you'll accomodate with it in no time.

Posted Image
There are a webcam and a light at the top of the screen. The webcam is useful for video conferences and has a good resolution.
The light is a gadget which let you to see your keyboard at night (not very useful).

Posted Image
Top of 2710p's screen.
From left to right: A built-in antenna for mobile broadband, light on/off, webcam macro/normal mode

Posted Image
View in Tablet mode.
Tablet mode is very comfortable, you can grab the screen easily. At the left bottom corner, there is an ambient light sensor which
controls the screen luminosity and 2 microphones. The screen rotates automatically but you can change its orientation manually if you want.

Posted Image
Left view.
Fingerprint sensor, WIFI and bluetooth switch, application launcher, USB port

Posted Image
Rear view.
RJ11, RJ45, VGA output, power input.

Posted Image
Rear view.
Pen-activated buttons (Ctrl+Alt+Del and rotate screen)

Posted Image
Right view.
Firewire, headphone output, microphone input, USB, SD card reader and kensington lock slot.

#2 ceder

ceder

Private First Class

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

Posted Image
There is a strong switch with no gap to release the screen in the middle and the power switch on the left

Posted Image
The night-light.

Posted Image
Global view in laptop mode.

Posted Image
Back view.
You can see a dock port and a battery port which I don't have. Battery life is about 4 hours with wifi, firefox, word and luminosity in the middle.
It can last 5 hours when you shut down wifi. HP has a great system which enables you to recharge 90% of your battery in only 1 hour.
If it's not enought for you, you can add a slim extra battery to have 10 hours of power.

Posted Image
Battery indicator.
You don't have to switch on your laptop to verify your battery status, blue leds indicates the level of charge of the battery.

Posted Image
The pen garage is easy to use and robust. The pen won't go out alone ;)

5) Ink experience and daily use
I am a student and I use my TabletPC everyday. At the beginning, i was afraid by the trackpoint. I had never used one
but finally, it came quickly and I don't see the difference with a touchpad now. I wanted a laptop which had enough battery
for a day at school and I must say that I found the right product. If I don't have a power plug near me during my courses,
I can always find one at lunchtime and recharge my laptop quickly. I was afraid by the HDD's speed too but in fact, it only
increases the boot time but I always turn my laptop in sleep mode so it doesn't take too long to boot. The screen is very good,
when I write on it, I feel like I'm writing with a pen on a sheet of paper. It's enough luminous to use your TabletPC inside and
outside. The 2710p is light, you can stand in slate mode for an hour without feeling pain in your arm.

During this review, I didn't talk about writing recognition. It depends on the OS you choose. From my experience, I can say that
Vista is better at this than Windows XP 2005 TabletPC edition. I have a TabletPC since 1 and half year and I will never return to
a normal laptop. ;)

I hope you have enjoyed this review. I apologize for my bad english and I hope you'll become an adept of TabletPCs like me :P
If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer all of them.

6) Links

HP website
TabletPC reviews website (english)
TabletPC reviews (french)
  • Jeremy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: security, windows, network, mobile, cache, wifi