• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lobahn

Lobahn

Private First Class

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:40 AM

Well, at the moment this is pretty much the only way I can contribute. I've had a lot of help from the forums so I think it's time I gave something back.

I'm going to review my speakers, I liked Panda_569's review and it's layout so I'm going to copy-cat it.

Product Information and Specification
I've chosen Logitech products over other products for quite some time, just because none of their products have ever failed me.

The Logitech Z-2300s are part of the Z series family and are essentially just tarted up Z-2200s -- a beefy 120watt subwoofer (way bigger than it looks in pictures on the net) and two 40watt satellites bringing the total wattage to 200 RMS, which for a 2.1 PC setup is quite a lot I'd say. The speakers have a frequency response of 35 - 20000Hz and the system is THX certified, controlled by a remote with headphone jack and bass dial.
GeneralProduct Type PC multimedia speaker systemDimensions (WxDxH) / Weight Details Right/left channel speaker : 8.9 cm x 15.2 cm x 17.1 cm  Subwoofer : 28 cm x 38 cm x 28 cmMiscellaneousRemote Control Remote control - cableCables Included Audio adaptor  Audio cable kitPowerPower Device Power supply - internalConnectionsConnector Type 1 x headphonesSpeaker SystemMedia Type 2 speakers, subwooferSpeaker Type ActiveNominal Output Power (Total) 200 WattMedia Included Qty 35 - 20000 HzSignal-To-Noise Ratio 100 dBTHX certified YesAudio Amplifier IntegratedConnectivity Technology WiredControls Subwoofer volume control, volumeDetachable Grilles YesResponse Bandwidth 35 - 20000 Hz

Initial Reaction
When the man from City Link knocked on my door with a box that was big enough to home a small child I was certain they'd given me the wrong order. I eagerly popped open the box and all was fine, other than the subwoofer being way bigger than I expected.

Setup
Setup is a simple affair too simple to be worth mentioning, instructions are included. The speakers are hardwired which might put some people off and Logitech even chucked in an adaptor to hook the system to a games console. The speakers look rather sleek on your desk at either side of your monitor, I managed to tuck my subwoofer under my desk and it all looked great.

Testing

The sound, wow. I think I initially just opened up a playlist and skipped tracks trying different genres to see how they would cope. The bass is perfect, its never over-powering in more subtle songs and then.. in some DnB it's so clear and punching it basically reminds me of thunder. Every sound is really crisp and clear. The satellites handle mid and high tones extremely well, it's the clarity of it all that struck me the most. Some people have said the mid tones can be a bit weak, I've not noticed but I'm not an audio snob.
Film, I've used these speakers when watching films and again, simply great. Watching the Godfather was amazing, it really does make all the difference being able to hear everything at such great quality. I've watched action films like, say, the Matrix with them and that's just like being at the cinema, it's the only way I can describe it. The speakers didn't struggle to fill quite a large room with sound which I've found with previous 2.1 setups, especially with film.

If we were to say the maximum volume was 10, I've never had them past 4 and it's enough. I'm slightly scared of them if I'm honest.

Value for Money
I paid 90 for them about 8 months ago. I think it was money well spent, I love them and have had no problem with them.

I did a bit of browsing and here's the pricing I can find
US: $70.80 - $213.78
UK: 85.29 - 140.99
I just took these prices from Froogle.

$70 is about 35, slightly unfair.

Final Word
If you're looking for a nice 2.1 setup then I highly recommend these. There's no reason not to consider them, especially when you look at the price. I'll be using my Z-2300s till they decompose.
If anyone has any questions about them feel free to ask, I'll answer as best I can.

Hopefully a worthy contribution.

#2 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

Great post bud

#3 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

I love the Z-2300 set, one of the best 2.1 pc speakers. I can highly recommend those! Swapped it for a Z-5400 for 5.1, DTS and optical in :)

Dennis

#4 XT18

XT18

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

I got the the logitech z-2300 and dammmn i love the bass on those things especailly crancked up all the way i get neighbors calling cops on me pretty much everyweek for too much noise sucks to live in a town house but the speakers are great :P.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: certified