• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

Ok guys this is my review on this Device.

Product: http://www.plantroni...035/prod5750003

The discovery is a blue tooth headset for phones or other device, it is basically the evolution of the original Discovery 640. I own a 640 and l love the device. It has some quirks but I love the fact that it was small and I could charge it from a AA battery. I work in NYC and have a 1.5 hour bus ride each way so I need to have all of my stuff in my brief case so the AA charger was great. Now I wanted to upgrade to the 665 because I heard that it has a USB charger which would be nice so that I can charge my blackberry and my headset from the same device.

So I hop down to the RCS experience store on 56th to go and pick one up (also I go and fondle the oqo02 some more while I am there) I pick it up and bring it back to the office. I open up the box and I am a bit shocked. All it has is the 665, the cradle, a car charger, USB cord, and selection of ear gels. I think this is a bit of a rip since the 640 came with a case, battery charger, AC adapter, gels.

I also noticed that it is a USB charger that has a dimple plug rather then a mini usb plug for charging which is ridiculous. That means now I have a specialized USB cable to charge the headset, which is the exact reason I wanted a USB charger so I didn't need a specialized cord.

Now I plug in the USB cord so that I can charge the thing and for some reason it won't charge. A light flashes on the charger and just turns off. I have tried it on multiple machines. This thing would be useless except for the fact that my 640's charger works with the 655 so I could at least charge it. What a pain in the butt. I am not very happy with this thing right now.

#2 cross

cross

Corporal

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

some chargable devices that work via usb will not charge if they are completly dead, simply because the computer doesn't detect that it is there i think...
you may want to try again now that it has a charge...?
Might be a different issue, but sounded similar. Frustrating either way, thats for sure!
Google the Ron Paul Revolution

#3 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:11 AM

Thanks bud I will give that a try, I charged it on my home charger so we shall see. Also I use win64 so that might be compounding the problem.

#4 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

Thats still a no go for some reason it still will not charge

#5 cross

cross

Corporal

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

oh well, worth a try I suppose...
thanks for the heads up about the (lack of) functionality.
Google the Ron Paul Revolution

#6 DannyS

DannyS

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:57 AM

Hey Blake,
I was searching for some information on compatibility of plantronics accessories between 640 and 665. I had Discovery 640 and had lost the damn thing today. Currently I am looking at replacing it and had read some good reviews on 665 and while browsing today I came accross your review. Now, I have stacks of accessories left over from 640 and have some questions before moving to buy 665. As you mentioned and I had also found the same when looking up 665 there is lack of accessories and for some reson plantronics went on a cheap with this one cutting back on presentation, pachaging, accessories. In summary beside the device itself the whole deal looks prety chaep but highly priced.
Now, since you have both 640 and 665 could you tell me if the charging cylinder/pod from 640 fits 665 and if earpieces and other accessories from 640 fit 665???
I hope you get this post and can anwer my question as I am getting ready to purchase one 665. It would be nice to know if I can use the stuff that is left behind from 640.

Thanks,
DannyPlantronics accessories 640 vs 665 (are these interchangable)

#7 Guest_thomasz_*

Guest_thomasz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:00 AM

Platronics makes me inpressive with its design and features.

#8 GroovyDude

GroovyDude

Sergeant First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

LOL :P

I didn't realize this thread was from last year until I got towards the bottom. Now I simply must know: Blake, how does your story end?

#9 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

I got rid of it and got myself a nX6000,
http://gizmodo.com/g...-yet-301978.php

I really like it :) Very comfortable and very loud, since I have a real hard time hearing

#10 GroovyDude

GroovyDude

Sergeant First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

nice closure :)

#11 Jeremy

Jeremy

Commander in Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

While headsets are often a personal choice, i havent heard or anyone ever not loving the Jawbone. http://www.jawbone.com/

#12 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

It has great audio Jer, but the damn thing has whisper sound to me, I need something in the ear canal

#13 Jeremy

Jeremy

Commander in Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

Might i suggest a hearing aid old man?

#14 Blake

Blake

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

WHAT??? I CAN"T HEAR YOU :D

#15 Guest_thomasz_*

Guest_thomasz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

And here something for your choice. It's interesting! ;)
http://www.accessory...-bluetooth.html.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blackberry