• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Terminal

Terminal

Sergeant First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 536 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

I have three different versions of Linux on my removable hard drive now and I am going to start trying them all 1 by 1 until I find the best one for me. I have done the test (link posted on the first page of this topic) and it says ubuntu so I will use that one first.

I just have one question though; is Debian really hard to use and why?

All help will be greatly appriciated.

Ubuntu is probably one of the easiest ones to use and manage ( debian apt-get magic ) . Ubuntu is almost debian with a big community that makes things lot easier . Using ubuntu doesn't takes you away from debian :) .

#32 leckmund

leckmund

Private First Class

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

I have three different versions of Linux on my removable hard drive now and I am going to start trying them all 1 by 1 until I find the best one for me. I have done the test (link posted on the first page of this topic) and it says ubuntu so I will use that one first.

I just have one question though; is Debian really hard to use and why?

All help will be greatly appriciated.

Ubuntu is probably one of the easiest ones to use and manage ( debian apt-get magic ) . Ubuntu is almost debian with a big community that makes things lot easier . Using ubuntu doesn't takes you away from debian :) .

thats true,i use Ubuntu maybe 1 year,and ich dont want miss it.for people who want change ther operating system away from windows it is a must have. :) give it a try with a Ubuntu live CD.

#33 Ex0n

Ex0n

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

leckmund- this is quite an old thread, why bring it up. Just lettin ya know...oh and...Arch Rocks! ... :ph34r:

#34 cduke250

cduke250

Corporal

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

Ya I'm still using Arch! http://www.archlinux.org

BTW, if you aren't already using it.. definately use the very awesome cutting-edge KDEmod designed just for arch users.
[0][tombs@nohost][~](1:420)
$
lynx askapache.com

#35 zer0sig

zer0sig

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

I usually run a BSD as a matter of personal preference (I quite like the source and port tree setup as I like to compile everything I run and I find the package management easier to manage with less dependency issues than most Linux distros), but for a live CD, I dig backtrack. It contains almost every security tool I use aside from personal code and that of friends, and it runs very smoothly on the machines I use. I highly recommend 4.0 alpha if you are just getting started. I actually prefer backtrack for even basic tasks, like mounting and copying data betewen multiple filesystem types. Ubuntu is probably my distro of choice if you are running Windows and want to dual boot on one drive. It's better about working with proprietary drivers, though I'd like to see better support for odd wireless drivers via some kind of automation with ndiswrapper. I might try to work on that one myself once I have a decent notebook again.
we are the hollow men
we are the stuffed men
leaning together
headpiece full of straw

#36 cduke250

cduke250

Corporal

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

I don't play games on computers as a rule so I don't want a GUI. I want performance for my world of bash+screen, or bash+screen+konsole+ratpoison, so I am unfamiliar with which distros have the best graphical customization of KDE. I used gnome in the 90's before Red Hat went all corporate challenger (keep it up!) to Microshotus. Bash, screen/tmux, and ratpoison == productivity. For linux I still like the simple to customize, optimized archlinux. If I wanted to play games or watch TV, I'd use my xbox that I installed linux on (remove the hard-drive to manipulate directly and uhh you officially own the xbox).

I usually run a BSD as a matter of personal preference (I quite like the source

Which BSD do people use and what do you run on it? I've only been using OpenBSD for ssh/routing the past couple years, I used to enjoy the software available on FreeBSD quite a lot. I too enjoy compiling source, and have always admired BSD's amazing documentation for hackers (Berkeley!)

Backtrack is one of those tools IMHO that only comes around every couple years... what a supremely capable system. Backtrack is incredibly stacked when it comes to the tools, I always learn somethine new, wow. Knoppix has better hardware support though and I have used it for almost 10 years now, it was great wizardry by Klaus back then. Gparted is the recovery DVD I use the most often along with SpinRite (as cool as menuet).
[0][tombs@nohost][~](1:420)
$
lynx askapache.com

#37 sajid89

sajid89

Private

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

The only time arch loses over another distro is in terms of complex configurations. The only times I don't use arch is when I need an extremely complex system, then I use BSDs.. but for complex linux systems, I go gentoo or Slackware.

#38 KushHacKinGz

KushHacKinGz

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

I use Ubuntu 11.10 right now and I really enjoy what you can do to the UI.
But I also use BackTrack 5 for other hacking tools

Thanks,
KushKinGz

Make money today!
Join AdF.ly And yMarket Today!
Selling WoW Battle.Net Account

#39 infiltrator

infiltrator

Staff Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I would definitely recommend Ubuntu, also MintOS is another good Linux OS you should try out sometimes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux