Looking For A Good Document Management System

- - - - - windows
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:13 AM

Please help me with this, its pretty urgent, since i must have a good package in 1.5 week.

Hey,

I'm looking for a good DMS (Document Management System) for my company.
I'm looking for features as:

High Priority
• For Windows
Revision Control
• 1 Document belongs to Multiple Projects and Categories (Linking?) (1)
• Easy in use (Integration in explorer?)

Low Priority
• Multiple views (2)
• Archiving of old documents
• Hardcopy Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)
Document linking (high priority)
The normal localisation of a document is this:

Posted Image

There are 2 projects, with each 1 category. but they use the same document. Normally this is solved by creating a copy of the file.

I want to have this:

Posted Image

Instead of documents related to projects and categories, the projects and categories are related to a document. With this setup, you wont need any copies of files. Plus it will be managable and accessable from multiple views

Solution example at inteface level:
Posted Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2)
Multiple views (low priority)
With this i mean how to interface is organised. This can be done in various ways:

At project view:

Posted Image

At Category view:

Posted Image

Please help me with this, its pretty urgent, since i must have a good package in 1.5 week.
If you have any questions, please reply in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dennis

#2 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:22 AM

Hey Dennis, checkout sharepoint, and documentum. I am not sure if they would meet all of your needs, but its worth a shot.

#3 buzzons

buzzons

Retired GSO Second Lieutenant

• Sergeant Major
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:11 AM

indeed Sharepoint is exactly what you need.(if you are doing graphics work, adobe Bridge (for adobe stuff) is what you would want.

#4 Partizaan

Partizaan

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Sharepoint is cool. I comes with every server cd from microsoft. So no cost and easy to manage.

#5 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

Its going to be for .doc and .xls files, with often a powerpoint persentation. Almost no graphics :). I will check out sharepoint.
Does it also support Document linking? the way i told it at point 2?

Thanks for all your great help

Regards,

Dennis

#6 Guest_Dennis_*

Guest_Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:37 PM

I would like to thank all the people who helped me find a good DMS.
I eventually went for a DMS called M-Files. great for small-medium businesses with integration in Windows Explorer. http://m-files.com

Regards,

Dennis

#7 pingywon

pingywon

Private First Class

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

While I will be the first to admit I didn't take the time to read all of what you are looking for.

I would HIGHLY recommend

http://sourceforge.net/projects/owl/

Install it on a server and have it up and running in no time!

There is even a demo on thier site that you can play with.

This thing turned out to be a godsent for one of my clients, they live and die by it now

Let me know yourt thoughts

#8 Tania

Tania

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

Not sure if you found your document management systems, anyhow if you are still in the market checkout GlobalOnDemand.Net for the best OnDemand hassle free document management system that is far better that Documentum and share-point

Tania
http://www.globalondemand.net

#9 Jeremy

Jeremy

Commander in Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Not sure if you found your document management systems, anyhow if you are still in the market checkout GlobalOnDemand.Net for the best OnDemand hassle free document management system that is far better that Documentum and share-point

Tania
http://www.globalondemand.net

Shameless plug for your company.

#10 antonik

antonik

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:00 AM

The best software is DocumentLite from my own experience. It has open source. Have a look at this program.

It has many interesting new features, including a system for handling email documents. This system is simple and understandable.

workflow document management program

#11 Edu

Edu

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

please watch topic dates before you post. although the information you provided seems good and usefull, Dennis very likely already found a way out looooooooooooooong time ago. :)

topic closed.
http://www.secumania.net - Secumania security blog.

Embed any executable in a JPEG image and get it to run upon opening the image with this cool tool that abuses a feature of GDI in Windows systems. for governmentsecurity.org members only! click here to get it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows