• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 yami

yami

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:00 AM

open office is always useful to download. as rlastinger said it is very good to export files as pdf. i think it can be a good porg to have installed on our pcs.

#17 Blake

Blake

Former Commander In Chief

• Retired Admin
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:47 AM

OpenOffice2 compared to ms office 2003 is pretty good, but ms office 2007 shouldn't be underestimated, a lot of new nice options are added to it, such as the 3d image features...

Is it just me or is Office 2007 such a resource hog, and the new menu configurations take a bit getting used to.

Also for open Office, I think the application also runs slow because it is a Java App. You always get stuck with that additional over head from the Java application.

#18 Carducci

Carducci

Private

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:37 AM

OpenOffice 2 is a nice program, but it has some disadvantages if you compare it with Office (especially the 2007 version). The writer is pretty good and I love the equation editor. But OpenOffice is my oppinion way to slow and crashes to often. It takes about a half a minute to start up. Compared to 10 seconds for Word.

Also Calc misses a lot of functionality compared to excel.

But all in all it is a nice replacement for office on linux systems. On windows I prefer to use Office.