• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manaox2

manaox2

Private First Class

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:17 AM

I came by this site with tools and tutorials on how to uncap your cable modem and unlock many hidden features on surfboard, dlink, and other cable modems.

"hxxp:\\www.tcniso.net/Nav/Software/"

They seem to have many modified firmware files, tools, and even more availible if you become a member. Worth a look. Some cable providers have blocked access to it already it would seem as well. I bet road runner would string you up high for some of these modifications.

more info:
hxxp://cable-modems.org/articles/uncapping/

#2 Aicd

Aicd

Private First Class

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:54 PM

uncapping is stupid, if you uncap your modem that you pay for, your gonna get the letter of death. there are "ways" around it, but i'm not talking about that on here.

Aicd

#3 setthesun

setthesun

Sergeant First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

uncapping is stupid, if you uncap your modem that you pay for, your gonna get the letter of death.  there are "ways" around it, but i'm not talking about that on here. 

Aicd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes stupid if you don't have any idea about what you are doing.
We talked this before on the forum, complete stealth uncap is possible.

setthesun me = new setthesun();

#4 gr33dy

gr33dy

Private First Class

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:22 PM

Haven't read what setthesun was referring to, but it would be interesting to see if it made a difference (as far as being noticed as quickly) if someone was to uncap their modem only to a level of service higer than they currently have rather than uncapping it to its limit) ie. Uncapping a standard Comcast Silver account (4300/384) to their Gold tier (6600/768). Just an idea.

#5 manaox2

manaox2

Private First Class

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

I did some back research in the forum and I believe setthesun is talking about buying cable modems off of ebay, stringing a couple together for more bandwidth, spoofing sniffed mac addresses of gold members for each modem, and modifying the nearest switch/router CAM table settings for anonymity. You probably don't want to modify the docsis because that will likely send off a red flag. If you do the described (ILLEGAL) procedure, it would be difficult for anyone to physically trace you (you should'nt have a real account with the ISP or, if you do, you better have given them fake info and NEVER checked your provided ISP email). The only way I can imagine them catching you is invading the privacy of suspicious accounts and decoding sniffed packets going through for info or using programs to determine a near location and distance of the network path and estimating a proximity (I don't see the cable provider going through all this trouble, but the fbi might be a different story). This procedure is completely possible (and ILLEGAL). if you don't do some things right the first time, you'll be going "back to the pile" when your ISP shows up. Pretty much every technician's advice on this: extremely tempting, but extremely easy to get caught. Your better off not touching this one. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools, tutorial