- - - - - tools
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_princerame_*

Guest_princerame_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:36 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to bypass the download limit set by your ISP.
For eg, on a 256 mbps connection with a 500 mb download/upload limit, is there any tool that will allow downloads to not be monitored by the ISP?
I have read of people downloading GB's of stuff on a 500 mb download limit connexion. My ISP uses a RasPPPoe dial up based connexion.
Are there ways to bypass download limits and never let ISP know about it, and not have your account expire?

Thanks
Rame

#2 belgther

belgther

Sergeant First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:41 AM

well, as I know, no...
but you can check out how such controls work, and send fake identity signals to fool the controlling device, and you are done... since I have never thought of it, i don't know any tools,too...
"The wisest one is the one who knows himself/herself." Quote of the life
belgther... aka... belgther

#3 spook

spook

Private First Class

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:48 AM

I don't think this is checked on the pc..
I think it's checked in the modem itself, so if you have some electronics skills you might be able to download more than possible..
But don't overdo it cuz you'll get caught if you download 50 Gb a month instead of the normal 500 mb.

#4 belgther

belgther

Sergeant First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

I don't think this is checked on the pc..
I think it's checked in the modem itself, so if you have some electronics skills you might be able to download more than possible..
But don't overdo it cuz you'll get caught if you download 50 Gb a month instead of the normal 500 mb.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you really believe it is?
because it will be pretty stupid if it is saved in modem and nowhere else... I think the ISPs make strict control for it. but installing a trojan working like a router can allow you to bypass this limit.
BTW, the best is being honest... if you fancy downloading lots of things, then buy a limitless packet and download as much as you can.

#5 myth

myth

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

ummm

If ya live in Australia, as i do, certain networks, ie, the one im on, allows free data to be transported between the nodes...

Couple my mates decided to exploit this a little more than first thought.

www.peeringsa.net

Pretty much, we all join the irc server .... Free data between ourselves

or emule, connecting to their server and using the ipfilter allows us to download all our files for free

etc etc etc

Now, this IS free data. The ISP's have an agreement on this, and it works out quite well :)

#6 spook

spook

Private First Class

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:18 AM

do you really believe it is?
because it will be pretty stupid if it is saved in modem and nowhere else... I think the ISPs make strict control for it. but installing a trojan working like a router can allow you to bypass this limit.
BTW, the best is being honest... if you fancy downloading lots of things, then buy a limitless packet and download as much as you can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if that is possible, I'm no expert.. It was just a suggestion.
Everything has to go through your modem first, so why wouldn't you be able to make them believe that only 1/100 of the normal data goes trough it.
That's what I thought.

#7 kingvandal

kingvandal

Master Sergeant

• Sergeant Major
  • 776 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:16 PM

well I will throw my 2cents in on this one. I read a paper once that explained how to increase your cable modem speed. This was done by editing the .bin file that was downloaded from the server on 1st configuration of the modem. Maybe there is something in this .bin file about limits and such. Sorry I canot remember where I read it.
Tchirimbimbim!!!
Very Interesting: Windows XP Source Code! and Windows Vista Source Code!!. Read'em and weap...

#8 Guest_Lone_*

Guest_Lone_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:34 AM

lol not something you want to mess with if you live in Cali USA most all the ISP's catch you in no time.. and then from then on your scrued.. <_<

#9 aapje

aapje

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:41 AM

well I will throw my 2cents in on this one.  I read a paper once that explained how to increase your cable modem speed.  This was done by editing the .bin file that was downloaded from the server on 1st configuration of the modem.  Maybe there is something in this .bin file about limits and such.  Sorry I canot remember where I read it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was only possible with some cable modems. Data limit controlling isnt done in your modem, when you log in your isp keeps track of your bandwith so you cant fake it unless you have some one else' account

#10 insanity123

insanity123

Private First Class

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:48 PM

i read up somehwere a while ago that it is easy to uncapp your cable modem if its motorola. there are tutorials and stuff on google on how to uncapp it but it is very ricky. the cable companies are able to track huge download speeds so quickly even if your jsut browsing the net with it uncapped its super stupid and dangerous.

#11 belgther

belgther

Sergeant First Class

• Sergeant Major
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:03 AM

insanity, do these methods still work? when are these documents published? i have heard of them,too, asking just for curiosity, since i am not using a cable modem... but it's weird that the limit is set by cable modems... so i have heard of a method to increase dial-up modem speed, they claimed they have a speed of 128kbps or something, but the modem has to be cooled down... but the best way is to be honest, know your enemy but don't do what he does...

#12 acooldude

acooldude

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:23 AM

Impossible...Your isp uses a device to control your speed, unless you can physically get in your isp's office where it serves you and change the configurations they set.

#13 Guest_slipped_*

Guest_slipped_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:51 PM

no, it was only possible with old motorolla modems to change the actual upload / download speed, but even that was easily caught and punished severely (blacklisting from the ISP). The severe gamble is not worth it.

#14 insanity123

insanity123

Private First Class

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

yes the uncapping modems sites are still around. you should find some in google but i sitll dont suggest you try so. I can't say i have ever heard of uncapping modem lines because they are to slow for anyone to car anyways. anyways if it were to uncapp at that speed i will give you some seroius props, but good luck with it. if you have any other questions about it, let me know.

#15 nackas

nackas

Private First Class

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:49 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to bypass  the download limit set by your ISP.
For eg, on a 256 mbps connection with a 500 mb download/upload limit, is there any tool that will allow downloads to not be monitored by the ISP?
I have read of people downloading GB's of stuff on a 500 mb download limit connexion. My ISP uses a RasPPPoe dial up based connexion.
Are there ways to bypass download limits and never let ISP know about it, and not have your account expire?

Thanks
Rame

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is pretty much impossible to bypass your download limit. As each and EVERY packet of data is passed through your ISP, and eventually to you, it is counted. Unless of course you can hack in to your ISP and raise a variable for your limit :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools